At times, while you try to get a printout from your printer and give print commands through your Windows 10 PC, you might come across an error message stating that “printer driver is unavailable.” This message simply indicates you cannot take any more print outs because there is no printer driver available on your PC to perform this operation.
What does it mean when the driver is unavailable on printer?
Now, many users are confused and want to know what does this error message exactly means. Well, this simply means that the driver of the printer you wish to take the printout from is currently missing or got corrupted due to some reasons. If your Windows 10 printer driver is unavailable, this means your device is having outdated printer drivers or they are not compatible enough to work on your PC. However, resolving this problem is like child’s play and you need to get worried about it. Just try these solutions and you will definitely come out victorious.
Solutions to fix Windows 10 printer driver is unavailable
There are several things you can try if your printer driver is unavailable on your device:
Solution 1- Update your PC
Keeping your PC updated resolves a lot of issues on your PC and you do not need to give heed to anything else. Just follow these steps to update your Windows 10 device:
- Use the Start menu of your device and open the ‘Search’ bar.
- In it, you need to enter “Update.”
- From the search results, select “Check for updates.”
- In case you see the availability of the updates, install them quickly.
- Once you are done with updating your PC, restart it.
- After this, try taking a printout and see if you could take a printout or not.
Solution 2- re-install the printer drivers
If you still see that the connecting wireless printer driver is unavailable, then you must reinstall the printer drivers on it. For this, you may follow the steps listed below. As soon as you install new drivers on your device, you will see that the error is resolved.
- The first thing you need to do is press the Win + R keys on your keyboard.
- You will the ‘RUN’ dialog box on your screen.
- On the ‘RUN’ box, type “devmgmt.msc” and press “OK.”
- From the installed devices, choose your printer model.
- Right-click on it and hit the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Confirm your action by selecting ‘Uninstall’ again.
- Now, you need to manually re-install the printer drivers.
- For this, go to the manufacturer’s official website.
- Choose your printer.
- And, download the latest printer drivers from there.
Solution 3- Try this if you have a Plug-and-Play printer
If the above methods did not help you, try using the steps mentioned below only for Plug-and-Play printer users:
- Remove all the externally connected cables from your printer.
- After a while, reconnect them back together.
- Then, you have to click on the ‘Start’ menu.
- Tap on the ‘Settings’ tab and choose ‘Devices.’
- Next up, choose the option that says ‘Add a Printer or Scanner.’
- Now, your PC will look for the connected devices.
- When your printer appears in the list, choose it.
- Follow some more prompts to reconnect it.
Using these methods would definitely help you in getting rid of the printer driver is unavailable error messages. Now, that you know what does it mean when the driver is unavailable on printer, you can try these solutions if you ever come across the same error again.