Epson printers are well-known for their reliability and high-quality output. However, like any other electronic device, they are not immune to errors and issues. One of the most common and frustrating errors that Epson printer users encounter is the 0x97 error code. This error often occurs suddenly and can prevent your printer from functioning correctly. Fortunately, there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this error code. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to troubleshoot the Epson error code 0x97.
What is Epson Error Code 0x97?
Epson error code 0x97 is a problem that occurs when there is an issue with the printer’s internal hardware. This error code often appears without any warning and can affect several Epson printer models. The error code can display on the printer’s control panel or on your computer screen.
Symptoms of Epson Error Code 0x97
The following are the typical symptoms of Epson error code 0x97:
1. The printer suddenly stops working.
2. The printer stops printing in the middle of a job.
3. The printer displays the 0x97 error code on its control panel.
4. Your computer displays an error message indicating that the printer is not responding.
5. The printer fails to complete the startup process.
Causes of Epson Error Code 0x97
The following are the common causes of Epson error code 0x97:
1. Malfunctioning of printer’s internal hardware.
2. Issues with the printer’s motherboard.
3. Dust and dirt accumulation on the printer’s internal parts.
4. Short circuiting caused by electrical disturbance.
5. Issues with the ink cartridges or print head.
6. Faulty or outdated printer drivers.
7. Corrupt system files.
How to Resolve Epson Error Code 0x97
Here are some troubleshooting steps to resolve Epson error code 0x97:
Solution 1: Restart the Printer and Computer
The first thing to do when you encounter an error code is to restart your printer and computer. Switch off your printer, unplug it from the power source, and disconnect all cables. Wait for a few minutes, then reconnect the cables and power it on. Similarly, restart your computer and try printing again.
Solution 2: Clean the Print Head
Dirt and dust accumulation on the printer’s print head can cause it to malfunction. Clean the print head by following these steps:
1. Turn off the printer.
2. Open the printer cover and remove the ink cartridges.
3. In a clean container, mix equal amounts of water and isopropyl alcohol.
4. Soak a clean cloth or cotton swab in the solution and gently clean the print head.
5. Wait for the solution to evaporate, then reinsert the cartridges and turn on the printer.
Solution 3: Update Printer Drivers
Outdated printer drivers can lead to errors and performance issues. Ensure that you have the latest driver version installed on your computer. Visit Epson’s website, select your printer model, and download and install the latest driver version.
Solution 4: Run a Printer Check
You can run a printer check to diagnose and fix problems with your printer. To run a printer check, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the printer and disconnect all cables.
2. Press and hold the power button for 1 minute to drain any residual power.
3. Reconnect the cables, then press and hold the power button for 1 minute.
4. Release the power button and turn on the printer.
5. Print a test page to check if the printer is functioning correctly.
Solution 5: Contact Epson Support
If the above solutions do not resolve the error code, it is best to contact Epson technical support. They have a team of experts who can diagnose and repair the problem.
Epson error code 0x97 is a problem that can affect the printer’s performance and lead to frustration. This guide provides you with a comprehensive solution to resolve the error code. By following these troubleshooting steps, you can save time and money and get your printer back up and running in no time.